Thursday, December 19, 2019

Software Defined Radio

This Christmas I thought I'd splurge on a Software Defined Radio (SDR) from SDRPlay (SDRplay.com).  I chose the RSP1A model for ~$100.00 that includes the software to setup and run the user interface.  It covers the radio spectrum from 1kHz to 2GHz with a displayable bandwidth of  up to 10MHz.  All that's needed is a PC to run the software and an external antenna and its ready to go. I plan on making my own antenna soon (probably a magnetic loop), but for now I'll just string a wire from the unit and hope for the best.

Here is the unit showing the USB interface on the right along with a length of wire attached to the antenna port on the left.  That's it!...The PC does all the data and display processing.

RSP1A

This image is a screenshot of the SDRuno software user interface.  This can be customized by each user to meet their particular needs (filter selection, spectrum bandwidth, band/mode of interest, etc).

Here I'm listening in on a CW signal on the 40m band (7.044.5MHz).

Looking forward to hours of experimenting (aka playing) and exploring the rich feature set available.

No comments:

Post a Comment