Wednesday, December 10, 2014

10MHz Sine Wave Oscillator

I built my first oscillator using the schematic shown below but w/o the 19dB pad (obtained from the amazing but sadly now defunct website - "VE7BPO ‘Popcorn’ QRP / Home Builder")

Basic 10MHz oscillator w/ pad

"Ugly" construction techniques were used (also a first for me). The main use for this circuit will be to assist with calibrating my AD8307 based RF power meter (whenever it’s finished). However, it can also serve as a platform for learning more about oscillators in general and if needed, function as a stand-alone sine wave generator.

"Ugly" construction

Powered it up and...IT WORKS!!! Not at first…no output, then I started adjusting the trimmer cap and…viola…output. It now produces a nice looking waveform. Definitely need to invest in a non-metallic screwdriver for adjusting trimmer caps in the future (waveform goes crazy otherwise). I will probably go ahead and add a 20dB pad to cut down on the signal level (currently ~1.03Vpp @ A with 50 Ω termination).

Screenshot at A (10.0057MHz)

No comments:

Post a Comment